Village of Chalabre
Chateau of Chalabre overlooking village
View of Pyrenees from near Chalabre
Situated in the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains, in the Quercorb, Chalabre offers all the charms of a medieval town as well as having the modern amenities that you may seek while on holiday.
Make sure to practice your "bonjours" as the local population will be sure to wish you a good day when you're out buying your freshly baked bread of stopping by the green grocer! The village is quiet, unassuming, and has a number of medieval and interesting streets and buildings.
Local sights include the Chateau of Chalabre, which dates back to the 12th century - which boasts many Medieval pageants with everything from Medieval dancing to jousting. The local church - Saint Pierre dates from 1552, with bells from the same period.
THINGS TO DO
* Tennis - free use of two excellent courts
* Cycling - mountain bikes for hire on premises
* Hiking trails
* Water sports at nearby Lake Montbel (600 ha)
* 18 hole golf course at Carcassonne (40 minutes drive)
* Horseback riding
* White water rafting and canoeing on the Aude river
* Trout fishing
* Jeu de boules in Boulodrome of Chalabre
* Ample wine tasting and picnicking opportunities